The deadline has been extended to May 1 by midnight!
Roger Baer, Professor of Graphic Design at Iowa State University and award winning landscape photographer.
All works chosen by the juror will be exhibited in the Octagon Center for the Arts’ Main and Sweeney Galleries, June 7 – July 12, 2014. An opening reception will be held Friday, June 6, 2014 from 5:00 – 8:00 pm. Cash awards will be presented at the opening reception at 6pm for First Place ($100), Second ($75), Third ($50), and two Honorable Mentions ($25 each).
- Deadline: EXTENDED TO MAY 1 by midnight
- May 7 – Notifications of Acceptance
- May 19 – Drop off work
- June 7 to July 12 – Open to the public
- June 6 – Opening Reception
- July 17 – Local Pick up
Enter using the online entry form or by sending in the paper entry form:
The Fine Print
Photographers applying for Snapshot:2014 must live within 100 miles of Ames, IA, and be 16 years of age or older. Images in any photographic process (alternative processes, digital, digital manipulations, film, etc.) and any subject (world travels, landscape, portraiture, documentary, still life, nature, sports, etc.) are eligible for submission. Only original works completed after January 1, 2013, and not previously exhibited at the Octagon Center for the Arts are eligible. Works must be no larger than 36” on any side. All works must be framed and have hanging wire installed – no sawtooth hangers or alternative mounting hardware.
There is a non-refundable entry fee of $20 ($15 for members and students) for the Octagon Center for the Arts’ Snapshot:2014 Exhibit. For $20, artists may submit 1, 2 or 3 artworks. Payment is accepted by check or by credit card via online form or in person at Octagon Gallery Shop.
- Fill out online entry form
- Upload images using the form. Image files must be titled: Lastname_Firstname_EntryTitle_entry#.jpg
- Pay by credit card via online form OR by mailing in a check. Make checks payable to Octagon Center for the Arts and write your name and “Snapshot 2014” in the memo field.
- Fill out completed printed brochure. (PDF)
- Make checks payable to Octagon Center for the Arts and write your name and “Snapshot 2014” in the memo field.
- Include images of artwork in digital format on a compact disc. Compact discs should be labeled with name of artist and title of artwork. Entries will not be returned to the artists. Image files must be titled: Lastname_Firstname_EntryTitle_entry#.jpg
Shipment and Delivery
Hand-deliveries will be accepted May 19, 8am – 5pm. Shipping artwork to and from the Octagon Center for the Arts is the responsibility of the artist. All shipping must be prepaid. Artist may use his/her own shipping company preferences, and is responsible for scheduling delivery and pick up of work. Works must be labeled with title and artist’s name. Shipping cartons must be reusable and within shipping guidelines. Late or damaged works will not be exhibited.
Liability and Sales
Receipt of the completed form constitutes your agreement with all conditions established in this prospectus. The Octagon Center for the Arts will provide insurance for the artworks while on site for 60% of sale price. It is the responsibility of the artist to provide all shipping costs and insurance on works during shipment. Consent to reproduce works photographically will be assumed to be granted unless specifically reserved in writing. The Octagon retains 40% sales commission on all works sold during the course of the exhibition and a 20% commission on all custom works facilitated by the Octagon.
Return of Work
Exhibited hand-delivered work must be picked up on July 17, 8am – 5pm, unless other arrangements are made. Shipped works will be crated and ready for shipping by July 19. It is the responsibility of the artist to provide postage and insurance to and from the exhibit, and to schedule delivery and pick up of the work. Nothing may be shipped Cash on Delivery. Any work left at the Octagon Center for the Arts after August 1, 2014 will be assumed a donation for the Silent Art Auction Fundraiser held in November.
Octagon Center for the Arts
427 Douglas Avenue
Ames, IA 50010