The University of Iowa
History of Medicine Society
R. Palmer Howard Dinner for 2016
FRIDAY, APRIL 22, 2016
National Library of Medicine
Ink and Silver:
Medicine, Photography, and the
Printed Book, 1845-1890
Medical photography has long attracted the interest of historians and archivists. This talk will address the use of photography in 19th century printed medical books, from technological and aesthetic viewpoints, as researchers and photographers pushed the existing arts to their limits. Why were these pictures taken? Who saw them? Were they meant for private study or profes- sional publication? How did they reflect the techniques and aesthetics of the rest of con- temporary photography.
- Reception at 6:00 PM
- Cash Bar (wine & beer)
- Hors d’oeuvres provided
- Location: Dean Rooms C and D Sheraton Hotel, 210 S Dubuque, Iowa City
- Dinner at 7:00 PM
- Presentation at 8:00 PM
- Parking adjacent to the hotel.
- Make your reservations now but no later than April 15, 2016
Request reservation form:
- Joyce Craig
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Phone: 319-335-9534 | Fax: 319-335-8515
Online form (print & mail):
Payment required in advance for Reception, Buffet Dinner and Lecture:
- Non Student Registration Fee: $40
- Student Registration fee: $10
Additional tax deductible donation: to help with student subsidies.
Note: Lynda Payne’s talk on Lovesickness in Opera was canceled.
A printable copy of the event flyer is available as a PDF or below as an image file.