We’ve all witnessed the fusion of photography and videography in recent years. Increasingly the same tripods, lighting, and DSLR cameras used for still images are being used for video, and many of the same principles of lighting and composition apply to video as well as photography. Media projects often require still images and motion video. So, companies are increasingly hiring people who can fill the role of photographer and videographer. If you have an equal fluency in photography as well as videography, you may be interested in the full-time job opening at the University of Iowa described below.
* * *
Source: Below is an excerpt from the University of Iowa Job Listing found here: https://jobs.uiowa.edu/pands/view/63980
- The College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS), Dean’s Office, has an opening for a Creative Media Specialist. This position will function as a photographer and videographer tasked with creating and managing visual/multimedia communications for CLAS and its departments and programs.
Type of Position
Regular: A position which is considered essential for the effective long-term operation of the university. Persons appointed to this position will receive the privileges and benefits associated with regular employment status.
- Media Production
- Project and Production Management
Note to Applicant
- The qualifications for this job posting are described as competencies or the behaviors needed to be successful in performing the duties of the position at a defined proficiency level/standard. The proficiency level required for each qualification is included.
- Please assure that your application/resume and/or cover letter illustrates the work experience, knowledge, skills and abilities you have that meet each of the required qualifications.
Proficiency Levels are Defined as:
- Basic Application – Uses basic understanding of the field to perform job duties; may need some guidance on job duties; applies learning to recommend options to address unusual situations.
- Working Experience – Successfully completes diverse tasks of the job; applies and enhances knowledge and skill in both usual and unusual issues; needs minimal guidance in addressing unusual situations.
- Extensive Experience – Performs without assistance; recognized as a resource to others; able to translate complex nuances to others; able to improve processes; focus on broad issues.
- Expert/Leader – Seen as an expert and/or leader; guides, troubleshoots; has strategic focus; applies knowledge and skill across or in leading multiple projects/orgs; demonstrates knowledge of trends in field; leads in developing new processes.
- For more information about competencies, visit: http://www.uiowa.edu/hr/classcomp/prof/competencies.html
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, cinema, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 1-3 years of experience in professional videography/photography production and digital asset management.
- Extensive proficiency with, and knowledge of current and emerging trends in, photographic and video equipment used in all stages of production for print and online use.
- Demonstrated creativity in photography and video, employed in the service of advancing key strategic messaging points, as demonstrated at an extensive proficiency level.
- Extensive knowledge of online platforms for photography and video. Ability to produce in a variety of formats.
- Working knowledge of photo/video editing software, e.g., Final Cut Pro, Adobe Premiere, Photoshop, Adobe Bridge.
- Working ability to juggle numerous tasks in a fast-paced atmosphere.
- Working experience with UI, or other higher-education institution, policies and procedures.
- Basic experience with journalism.